Wednesday, August 1, 2018

2018-6 - God is Calling


To date we have now completed the Holy Cow Survey, the active listening sessions, created and distributed a profile of “us” (not a profile of what we are looking for), and invited, received and reviewed applications to be our new Bishop.

This is a reflection on how I saw different callings in each of the different applicants but all with the same purpose – “Love your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.” (Luke 10:27).

When I started reviewing the applications I was struck by the varied callings of applicants with different backgrounds into different ministries, at different ages, in different locations, into different cultures. Some had entered the church early on in their lives and others were called after they had successful secular careers in such fields as marketing, the law, academia, medicine.

I was amazed that no matter when, where or how each applicant was called they all ended up in the same place, their applications to be our new Bishop in a file for access by the Nominating Committee team members.  I reviewed and was humbled by their ministries described in their supporting documents.

As I started the reviews I thought about how our God calls us to serve and remembered the time when I was called.

I remember the “mustard seed” planted within me was a desire to learn which led to my attending the School For Ministry (SFM) and started my formation. I recalled no matter how hard I tried to ignore or avoid the calling by providing excuses why it could not be done, God persisted until I surrendered and said “Yes”.

In reviewing the documents, I wondered if the applicants had the same experience and I looked forward to meeting them electronically via Zoom and maybe later in person.

The more I thought about our calling, the more scriptural calls jumped out at me, such as God calling Moses, Abraham, Noah, Samuel, and David.

I looked through the Gospels and noticed how Jesus called the disciples and followers: “Come, follow me and I will send you out to fish for people.” (Matt 14:19), “Jesus withdrew to the sea with His disciples; and a great multitude from Galilee followed; and also, from Judea” (Mark 3:7), “After this, Jesus went out and saw a tax collector by the name of Levi sitting at his tax booth. “Follow me,” Jesus said, and Levi got up, left everything and followed(Luke 5:27-28).

I referenced the Epistles and found examples of how God calls the “Body of Christ”, “You also became imitators of us and Jesus Christ, having received the word in much tribulation with the joy of the Holy Spirit (1 Thessalonians 1:6), “To the church of God in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be his holy people, together with all those everywhere who call on the name of Jesus Christ” (1 Corinthians 1:2) “But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of the one who called you out of darkness the wonderful light” (1 Peter 2:9).

When I reflected on my own, and the applicants, formation I wondered about the theology of the calling. Armed with this curiosity I looked back at my SFM notes and undertook a search for papers from other sources.

In SFM last year I learned how my calling involved two concepts, kenosis and theosis.

Kenosis, from the Greek word for emptiness was the "self-emptying" of my personal will to become entirely receptive to the “divine will”.  When called to serve I was emptied, either totally or partially, providing a void that was to be filled by the Holy Spirit. This is not something that happens once, it is happening all the time.

Theosis is the process in which I am constantly being filled with the Holy Spirit which directs my thoughts, words and actions and forms my union with God.

I recognized that my calling, my formation, my self-emptying and filling with grace is an act of God. The inner signs of the grace within me are shown through the outward signs in the prayers, worship, and ministry I undertake.

When I looked for other resources to provide more insight into the theology of how and why we are called to serve God, I found an intriguing paper, “The Meaning of Calling in a Culture of Choice” from the Magazine of Theological and Ethical Inquiry from Yale Divinity School.

When I read this paper, I noticed there was a multi-part question that applied both to my own theology and to the task of reviewing the applications, “What does it mean to feel called to a vocation in a world where our churches seem disconnected, where work can be impersonal, and where our careers change many times?”

When looking at vocation it is seen through the lens of our contemporary cultural and our choices. I agreed with the paper which states choice shapes both our secular and spiritual reality and it can seem we are often trying to create our own faith story rather than God’s.

But looking at the journey of these applicants I noticed no matter how hard they tried to create their own journey, the Holy Spirit had guided them to the same place at this moment in their lives – this calling to the Episcopate in San Diego!

For all except one their journey will not end in being our Bishop, but it may change their calling and change where they are headed. I felt that either way it will be a forming experience for them, just as it is for me as I participate in this search.

This task identified the importance of discernment in decisions, the virtues of choice, but also recognizes our decisions come as a response to God’s will. For me to speak of a calling is to acknowledge God as the caller, and see our individual journeys have a goal.

Martin Luther famously expanded the language of vocation beyond the clerical into the Biblical notion of the “priesthood of all believers.”

He argued it is not just the monk or the minister who is called. Every state of life and any type of work can be considered a calling, a true vocation, and any type of work offers the opportunity to serve God and the “Other”.

I learned this concept of calling passed from Luther talking about vocation as a state of life, through Calvin’s “productive labor”, to the Puritans who changed it from faithfulness within one’s work, to faithfulness through one’s work, to faithfulness to one’s work resulting in the birth of today’s Work Ethic.

In reading this paper I loved the way my reflection turned away from vocation being roles and responsibilities and focused instead on how God meets us where we are, as we are. Each of us is a unique creation placed by God in a particular time, at a particular place, and gifted with particular abilities, experiences, and associations.

In this review task there was a danger the process could become reduced to a search for a person who matched my culture, tradition, tastes, needs, must-haves, and wants.

It was crucially important to have an open and honest sense of myself and what God is calling me to do, before I could review the calling of others.

For me, this task of reviewing the applications and supporting documents was an important part of my formation which allowed me to examine my own calling, research the theology of kenosis, theosis and vocation, and recognize the calling within those aspiring to be our next Bishop.

I would challenge all readers to undertake a frequent self-examination of their calling as part of their discernment on their own journey.


Ref:


No comments:

Post a Comment