Wednesday, July 25, 2018

2018-5 - The Free Will to be Biased


In our project we have now completed the Holy Cow Survey, the active listening sessions, created and distributed a profile of “us” (not a profile of what we are looking for), invited and received applications to be our new Bishop.

This is a reflection of the detailed work involved in reviewing the application letters and supporting documents including an Office of Transition Ministry (OTM) ministry portfolio, a resume, references and essays answering 4 key questions:
1.    As you read our diocesan profile, what most excites and challenges you about the possibility of serving as Bishop of the Diocese of San Diego?
2.    Tell us about a personal experience of cultural challenge and/or reconciliation. How did it affect you?
3.    In a time when some see the church in decline, how do you plan to help the church flourish in the 21st century?
4.    How does your ministry proclaim hope?
Candidates were asked to write their essays in ways that avoided revealing their race, gender, geographical locale, etc., and then the essays were further were redacted as much as possible, so they could be read and reviewed without bias or prejudice.

At the start of this work I was inexplicably drawn to 1_Corinthians 12:12-31 where St Paul describes the church as being one body with many parts, starting “For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ.

I prayed, reflected on this passage and recognized it is not just the church which is a body with many parts, our applicants also reflect the body of Christ in their ministry and aspirations, and our Nominating Committee is also a body with many parts.

As part of the body I needed to recognize even though we are one body, I am endowed with my own biases and free will to make my own decisions on what I was reviewing. What I may relate to in one application may not be the same for all committee members.

Before starting the task of reviewing the applications I read the notes provided by our Consultant on how to avoid bias in decision making and investigated the theological aspects of both bias and free will. This exercise later proved to be invaluable as I formed my impression of each candidate.

In my investigation I was especially struck by the theology of free will and how it not only applies to my acceptance of God’s gift of salvation, but also applies in my everyday thoughts and decisions.

Although the biblical view of free will is formed by the “fall” into sin by Adam and Eve and their willfully disobedience to God, there is now also the concept of freedom in all choices.

Often freedom and free will are used as synonyms but when I was reading the definition by Mortimer Jerome Adler, an American philosopher, educator, and popular author, I found I was struck by his definitions of freedom as:

v  Circumstantial freedom from coercion or restraint that prevents acting as one wills,

v  Natural freedom (a.k.a. volitional freedom) to determine one’s own decisions or plans, inherent in all people, in all circumstances, and without regard to any state of mind or character,

v  Acquired freedom to live as one ought to live which requires a transformation of a person to acquire a righteous, holy, healthy state of mind and character. This is the freedom from being enslaved to sin we all need to live up to Jesus’ commandments to love God and neighbor.

Then I started to define my own theology and decided I am most influenced by the teachings of Jacobus Arminius, the 14th century Dutch theologian.

I believe that while God is all-knowing and always knows what choices each person will make, still gives them the free will to make choices regardless of whether there are any internal or external factors contributing to that choice (circumstantial, natural or acquired).

When I started reviewing the applications I was very conscious that I have free will, and the freedom to state my own thoughts on the suitability of the applicant to be our Bishop.

I also recognized, just as with all the members of the Nominating Committee, I had my own biases that up to this point I had not really taken a good look at.

With my biases operating at an unconscious level, I was in danger of arriving at different interpretations of the exact same data from other committee members.

I may not intend to prefer information that confirms my beliefs, and I am sometimes not aware of all the ways I cater to this preference, but as with all members of the body I am susceptible to what is known as confirmation bias.

Conscious I am constantly bombarded by social media and half-truths in the news, and I can readily access a variety of news and information sources which confirm my beliefs and bias I needed to turn to my “bias recognition lens” to search for my own blind spots. It is these which could cause me to avoid, ignore or decline information I suspect may be negative or challenging.

When looking at scripture I was comforted in the knowledge there were others with firmly held beliefs throughout the bible which God needed to change.

St. Peter believed Gentiles who followed Jesus should practice all Jewish customs.

St. Paul believed such a requirement was adding to the gospel unnecessarily.

These Saints both received visions which revealed God’s will, expanded their understanding of God’s kingdom and changed their biases.

Looking past my own unconscious biases was challenging and took additional time in the reviews but I felt this was necessary to do what I was called to do to the best of my abilities.

In all the document reviews I tried to take what I had learned about free will and bias and applied the guidelines our Consultant had provided:

1.    Do give evidence and explanation to back up your decisions,

2.    Do make sure to give everyone, or no-one, the benefit of the doubt,

3.    Do make sure waiving of rules is done consistently,

4.    Do not insist on certain characteristics such as likeability, modesty or deference, from some and not others,

5.    Do not make assumptions on what people want or are able to do,

6.    Do have a clear definition of vague concepts such as “culture fit” if applied,

7.    Do give honest feedback.

During this process I was tempted to match the profiles and applications to the redacted essays.

I resisted the temptation and found that I felt a lot better about the results of the reviews and discernment.

In reflection, I now find this was a very powerful exercise which gave me the opportunity to resist temptation to cheat on the process, recognize my biases, change my beliefs, consistently apply my own free will in decision making, and the freedom to present my views.


Sources:







No comments:

Post a Comment