Friday, August 24, 2018

2018-9 - A Theological Reflection


To date we have now completed the Holy Cow Survey, the active listening sessions, created a profile of “us”, and reviewed applications to be our new Bishop. We have also held a meeting to decide who should progress onto the online Zoom interviews, completed reference checks and are preparing for the week-long discernment retreat.

One of the objectives of this theological Field Education (TFE) assignment is to see the theology within diocese wide work, how people with diverse knowledge, skills, experience and views are led by the Holy Spirit when working together for the good of the diocese

As I moved through these tasks and reflected on the nature of God and religious beliefs revealed in each task, I came to realize I also needed to identify my own theology to be able to relate to the theology in the work and within others.

Theology is a complex subject and it was difficult to know where to start, so I looked back at the key things that shaped my beliefs.

I think in I was mostly influenced by my study of the Gospel of John, and by the year of catechumenate classes I undertook in preparation for Confirmation when I was 11 years old.

In a New Testament session at the School For Ministry (SFM) I was taught all the gospels are written to provide an image of Jesus through historical stories witnessed by the authors, remembered and passed down orally by others, or as metaphorical stories and parables told to make a point.
Each gospel is a portrayal of Jesus, written by an author who may, or may not, have met Jesus in person, for a specific purpose and aimed at a specific audience.

In my studies I recognized that it was the Gospel of John, that shaped my worldview and my religious beliefs.

I recognized the spiritual concepts within this gospel and how they are summarized as beliefs in the Nicene Creed in my Book of Common Prayer (BCP).

Like John’s gospel, the creed identifies and tries to confirm our spiritual beliefs, not because of what was witnessed, or any historical event, but what we believe through faith (John 20:29).

The themes in John’s writings that really resonate with me are the divinity of Jesus as the Word made flesh, being fully human and fully God as he walked the earth (John 1.1).

Jesus reveals an important message to me as the light of the world, the bread of life, the way, and the good shepherd. He reveals the kingdom of God through talking about himself, the messenger is the message.

John’s gospel not only shaped my beliefs but still pronounces the message of “Jesus in all of us” (John 15:4, 17:23, 14:20) which relates directly to my work in pastoral care ministry and chaplaincy at a retirement home.

I see Jesus as being the Word of God actively at work in all of us, in all situations.

It promotes the mysterious and sacramental presence and activity of God in the world and links the saving work of Christ in Baptism and the Eucharist (John 6:52-59).

These are important beliefs I hold onto through faith, just as John says, “These are written that you may believe that Jesus Christ was the Son of God and that in believing you may have life in His name” (John 20:31).

With these key scriptural beliefs, I moved on to look at how the creed in the BCP encapsulates them and impacts my day to day life.

The Nicene creed provides me with a focused view of what I claim to believe about the trinitarian nature of God as Father, Son and Holy Spirit, or God as Creator, Word, and Comforter.

It is this structure and content, supported by scripture, which also reassures me in my beliefs and which gives me the structure to understand my own theology.

It is not just something I say several times each week as I attend worship services, but it is also something I believe in deeply.

No matter what I learned about the historical and architectural research into the Hebrew Bible I still believe that God is the creator of the universe and all within it, which also provides an anchor for me to position beliefs about Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

When I read the second and central part of the creed I see the incarnate nature of Jesus in terms of his relationship in the Trinity, his eternal divinity, his essence, and his work as the Word in creation (John 1:1-5).

Each of these natures shape my thinking and are backed by scripture in John’s gospel:
·         Eternally begotten” and with God at creation (John 20:31),
·         God from God”, the Creator and the Word share the same qualities and substance or essence of divinity that make one God,
·         Light from Light,” (John 8:12),
·         True God from true God”, not a human who only appeared divine,
·         Begotten, not made, of one Being”. Jesus was with the God the Creator in a permanent relationship before time was created,
·         All things were made”. the Word of God was used at creation to make the universe and all things in it (John 1:3).
Throughout my reading of all the gospels I believed Jesus is the incarnate Word who actively revealed God to humanity in his miracles, parables, sermons and actions.

The next section introduces the Holy Spirit into my theology through the belief Jesus came from heaven, became incarnate through the Holy Spirit and was born as a person.

I believe that Jesus was a real human being, not simply a spirit or ghost.  By adding in the Holy Spirit at the incarnation we now have all three persons in one God. 

This is my key trinitarian belief in Christianity and without this belief I do not think my view of Christology would be on a firm foundation.

The next section brings me to my belief in salvation when it states Jesus suffered as humans do when dying on the cross. This showed me Jesus was fully human but also being fully God, was resurrected three days later.

Today we can claim Jesus suffered like we do, and therefore can relate and comfort us as we go through our suffering.

Each time I celebrate the Eucharist I believe that through the sacrament of the Holy Eucharist I receive the spiritual body and blood of Jesus and receive eternal life through his sacrifice (John 6:56-58).

The creed then takes me to more detail on the Holy Spirit, the third person of the Trinity, sent as the giver of life, and always in relationship with God the Creator and God the Word.

I see the Holy Spirit in everything around me, as the “Breath” God breathed out to give life to the world (Genesis 1:30), was breathed out onto the disciples (John 20:22), and onto the multitude at the birth of the Church at Pentecost (Acts 2:2-4).

It is this same Holy Spirit I received at my Baptism to be my helper, teacher, bearer of truth and witness (John 14:16, 14:26, 15:26).

It is this Holy Spirit which works within me through kenosis (emptying of the self and being receptive to the spirit) and theosis (the process of coming into closer union with God) every day.

The creed not only affirms my belief in historical continuity through apostolic succession and ordination but also reassures me as it addresses my earthly death and promises me eternal life.

Looking at my theology and how it relates to what I was doing on the Nominating Committee was challenging.

When I was reviewing the applicant's documents and online interviews I had to be aware of how an applicants’ theological views may be the same as mine but are communicated differently. For example, maybe the person did believe in the Trinity but preferred to focus on "Creator, Word and Comforter" rather than "Father, Son and Holy Spirit".

I had to be aware that when I was reviewing the essays and responses to interview questions I may be looking for messages which subconsciously reaffirmed my own theological views.

There were times when I was ready to mark down an applicant because I did not see the same theological terms I was used to, but on further review I could see the same religious beliefs just communicated in different terms.

There were a few occasions where the applicant looked good on the essay paper, but during the interview my own theological views made me feel uncomfortable with the answers. In those situations I felt the applicant was treating the discussion as a job interview, and was answering what they thought we wanted to hear rather than what they really believed, and this changed my opinion of them.  

Despite these challenges, my attempt to “see the theology within diocese wide work, how people with diverse knowledge, skills, experience and views are led by the Holy Spirit when working together for the good of the diocese” made me aware of who I am, how and where my beliefs were shaped and how unconsciously I apply them to all I do.


Sources:
The New Oxford Annotated Bible - New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) with the Apocrypha (College Edition, 4th Ed, pg. 1860 - 1863)
Book of Common Prayer (BCP), 1979
NT1 Course Notes and Assignment Comments (Dr. David Mosley, SFM, Spring Semester 2018)



No comments:

Post a Comment